Friday, January 29, 2010

Spondylolisthesis

You are probably looking at my blog title and saying...spondyloli-what???
Well, I have been seeing this condition more often in the clinic lately and so I thought I would write a blog about it since I "had" the condition.

Spondylolisthesis sounds like a big word, however breaking it down makes it more simple. Spondylo- refers to the "spine" and -listhesis refers to "slippage of". Put it together and it means a slippage of the spine. Spondylolisthesis is the condition where one vertebrae (bone of your spine) slips forward on an adjacent one. This usually occurs in the lumbar spine (lower back). The slippage can be present at birth, occur in early childhood, or appear at any time later on in life. It can be the result of a structural deformity, trauma, or degeneration of the vertebrae. It is common in dancers, gymnasts, javelin throwers, divers, football linemen, weight lifters with improper technique. It can be easily diagnosed with an x-ray. Sounds scary, doesn't it? Well, it can be, but I had one and I live to tell so it can't be that bad, right?

Here is my story...
I have been dancing since I was 5 years old (jazz, tap, theater dancing) and playing sports since I was 9 years old (basketball and softball mostly). In high school, I picked up a new hobby...throwing a javelin. Random, I know. The track and field team at my high school needed more athletes and my friends were on the team. So, I joined so I could hang out with them after school and pass time before dance practice at night. I quickly learned to throw discus, shot put, and javelin. Those of you who know me probably cannot picture me throwing a shot put (haha). Hey, I never said I was actually good at throwing shot put, however, I was decent at discus and very good at javelin. When I graduated, I went to college and threw javelin there as well. I had a blast doing it, until one day I woke up with severe back pain. Long story short, I had to stop throwing javelin once my physician discovered that I had a spondylolithesis. Just like most of you when you read the title of this blog, I said spondyloli....whhhaaaat?!? So, needless to say I had to give up throwing javelin. I decided to workout as often as I could and focus on my core in order to keep my back feeling strong and decrease the amount of "ache" on an everyday basis. Unfortunately, my spondy (as I like to call it) become more unstable and slipped from a 25% in 1999 to an 85% in 2004. I required surgery known as spinal fusion in order to stabilize my spine. Many people live with spondylolisthesis from 25-50% and are very functional with minimal pain. I was living with an 85% with minimal pain, but an 85% slippage is too unstable to "play it safe". I received spinal fusion surgery in 2004. They fused three of my vertebral levels in my lumbar spine (lower back). Following surgery, I received physical therapy 3x/week for 3 months (what my insurance would allow) and I also did my exercises on my own. Physical therapy is essentially what brought me back to "normal function" again. I was able to be the energetic and active person I have always been. The true test was working Rutgers football camp the summer (a year and 2 months) after my surgery. I made it through with flying colors! I cannot tell you how happy and relieved I was. I never said it was easy or that I had no aches and pains throughout the way, but I took good care of my back and made it through with a huge smile on my face. I am currently a full-time physical therapist and it definitely helps my back having such an active job. Prolonged sitting and standing are still not something I can tolerate for longer than an hour or two. I feel so stiff as well as muscle tightness and ache if I sit or stand for too long. I must work out my core, stretch, and keep my body strong in order to counteract back pain. If I stop being active/training my body feels like I have aged 10 years! It's amazing what a difference exercise and stretching can do for back pain. I barely notice my back when I am on a consistent workout schedule. So, I make time in my busy schedule to keep active (working on my patients all day helps with this too!).

So now that you know a little more about me and my condition let's talk about you.
Back pain is not an end to life the way you know or knew it. The pain is grueling, extremely depressing, and it may feel as if you have an annoying little devil riding on your back 24/7, but I promise you there is hope. You NEED to seek professional medical help. Don't Google your symptoms and expect an answer. Don't print out stretches and exercises online until consulting with a medical professional first because they may not be the right exercises for you. When it comes to back pain there are certain motions that should be avoided depending on the condition. Many of these exercises contain all different motions and you may harm yourself more and not know it.

Here are common symptoms of a spondylolisthesis (that I have had or patients with this condition have explained to me):
- general ache in lower back region
- in some cases, sciatica pain, numbness, tingling, or weakness in the leg(s)
- aching pain in lower back when lying flat on stomach
- aching pain when lying flat on back with knees straight (usually unable to tolerate)
- intermittent muscle spasms on one side/both sides of the spine (usually in the lower back)
- pain when bending backward/with back extension (in standing/sitting/lying down)

Tips on how to prevent further slippage and decrease back pain if you have spondylolisthesis:
- avoid hyperextension of your spine (excessive backward bending) - try to keep your spine in neutral during sitting, standing, and exercise.
- avoid lying or sleeping on your stomach - if you are lying on your belly place 1-2 pillows underneath your hips and a bolster/rolled towel under your ankles.
- avoid lying or sleeping flat on your back with both legs straight - try keeping your knees bent or placing 2 pillows underneath your knees to relieve the pressure off of your lower back.
- DO stretch your lower back muscles (sit with pillow on your lap and lean forward 3 x 30 sec./perform Child's pose stretch), hamstrings (back of your thigh), hip flexors (front of your thigh), glutes (buttocks)/piriformis.
- DO perform core strengthening exercises everyday. Your core should be activated during everything that you do!!
-DO seek advice from a medical professional if you believe you have this condition. Don't be afraid. A year from now you will be happy you did what you did today.

Any questions please email me (sara@mavenpt.com) or comment on my blog.

11 comments:

Carrie said...

My son has Spondy. He is 17. He didn't get it by playing sports, as he only played soccer as a young child. He is under 25% but seems to have a lot of pain. It kills me to see him in pain and I feel so helpless not being able to make him feel better. What about Pilates? Think that old help? I wish I could take his pain away!

Ron Lavine said...

Thanks for the informative and positive article about your own experience with spondylolisthesis Sara. I particularly appreciate the self-care advice (especially not to sleep on your stomach!).

Here's more: http://www.yourbodyofknowledge.com/lumbar-spondylolisthesis-and-spondylolisthesis-exercises/

Unknown said...

Enthralling subject head & I am unnecessarily blissful for your data through this site, I may in like course need to give data identified with Spondylolisthesis Treatment. For additional lighting up please visit www.erikbendiksmd.com

Stella Maris said...

I have just been diagnosed with spondy, but I also have osteoporosis. With spondy I cannot do extensions, but because of he osteoporosis I am not supposed to do forward bends (like child's pose that you suggest). So, literally, which way do I turn on my exercises?

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing helpful information, I really like your all post. I will bookmark your blog for future updates.



Chronic Headache Treatments

Ringo Kelly said...

I've been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis with 2 mm at L4/L5. I've pain running down my back, buttocks, legs specially left that I can't walk or climb stairs.
I'm a side sleeper and I'm not sure whether that's the right way. I tried sleeping on my back with pillow under my eyes but it's uncomfortable and didn't sleep much. Please suggest exercises and right position to sleep.

Ringo Kelly said...

sorry I meant knees. don't know how I got to write eyes.

Ringo Kelly said...

sorry I meant knees. don't know how I got to write eyes.

Ringo Kelly said...

I've been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis with 2 mm at L4/L5. I've pain running down my back, buttocks, legs specially left that I can't walk or climb stairs.
I'm a side sleeper and I'm not sure whether that's the right way. I tried sleeping on my back with pillow under my eyes but it's uncomfortable and didn't sleep much. Please suggest exercises and right position to sleep.

Anonymous said...

I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,HypertensionFatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Autism,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases,,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
Dementia.,Lyme Disease,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Lupus,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Chronic Diarrhea,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Breast CANCER,Lung Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Autism,Brain Cancer,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / .  or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219.

Ose White said...

I am really happy that i have been cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) with the herbal medicine of dr,oseremen , i have been suffering from this disease for the past 3 years and 4 mouth without solution until i came across the email of this doctor who have cure so many people with his herbal medicine, i also choose to give him a chance to help me and my husband, he told me what to do and i kindly did it, and he gave us his herbal medicine and direct me on how to use it, i also follow his instructions for use and he ask us to go for a check up after 1 week and 5days which i did, to my greatest surprise our result came out as negative, we are really happy that there is someone like this doctor who is ready to help anytime any day. To all the readers and viewers that is  doubting this testimony  stop doubting it and contact this doctor if you really have one and see if he will not actually help you. i am not a stupid woman that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done for me and i know that there are some people out there who are really sufferid Dr.oseremenvadi@gmail.comor what's app +2349056394313 he also told me that he has cure for these diseases listed below .HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS..DIABETES .ng and hurting their family just because of these diseases so you can aslo Email him on Dr.oseremenvadi@gmail.comCANCER.HEPATITIS.HIV/AIDS. STD CUREThank you for your time

Post a Comment

 
home | about us | our team | services | products | news | directions | contact us | physical therapy sources | sitemap
Copyright 2009 . Maven Sports Medicine. All rights reserved.